Windows XP Service Pack 3 – To install or not?
There is a common rule of thumb when it comes to updating or upgrading your PC operating system, “If it works don’t fix it” or at least if your keen on upgrading to the latest service pack 3 for Windows XP, give it a few months to iron out the software incompatibilities. Its no secret that with any major release of a service pack comes some form of pain, hence the saying “no pain no gain”. But enough with the puns, what should you do at this point in time you ask?
SP3 has been out for a few months now, it is more of a traditional service pack rolling up previous hot-fixes than about new functionality. So the overall claim that it adds 10% Performance Boost is a nice bonus.
Lets start with some precautions before you do the install of SP3.
- Exit all Spyware and Ad-Aware programs temporarily.
- Disable temporarily all Antivirus Softwares
- Exit any programs that hav estarted automatically in your startup that are running in the system tray.
- Exit all DVD related softwares in order to avoid .dll crash
The not so good stories about SP3:
– System Keeps Rebooting after Installing Windows Service Pack 3
– XP SP3 triggers false positives in security apps
– Windows Update got corrupted or broke.
The final shipping version of Windows XP SP3 is available for download from Microsoft here:
Other related articles users read
- Free up 10 Gigs of disk space easily in Windows
- Windows Performance Increase – Virtual Memory
- Make Windows XP Boot Faster – Top Tweaks Oldies but goodies
- Top 10 Free Windows Downloads to Tweak Performance
- Windows Tweak – Increase Video Card Performance
- Windows Hacks – Useful Shortcuts Save Time
- Windows XP TWEAK – Faster Boot-UP
- Unlock hidden Windows XP Options
- Windows XP PowerToys – TweakUI v2.10
- Create Shorcuts of Hidden Commands in Windows XP
- Customize Windows XP to look like Vista
- New Microsoft Free Desktop Themes for Windows XP
- Free Up windows resources which are slowing you down